The Silicon Village Registration site for Burning Man 2017 is up and running!
Please read the ENTIRE FAQ and talk to your Theme Camp Leader before sending questions to Fred “Princess”, Keeper of the Gates!
ALL persons camping within Silicon Village must pay Camper’s fees; this makes you a Member of our Village. Purchasing a SuperTent, or RV does not include your Camper Fee, they are separate “tickets”. There are separate access codes for each Theme Camp within the Village, and Theme Camp Leaders will distribute those to their Campers.
If you don’t see “Camper Fee” options listed on the registration site, please enter the access code provided by your Theme Camp Leader to get access to your registration options. If the tickets are sold out, your Theme Camp might be full, and you’ll need to contact your Theme Camp Leader for further instructions.
The sooner you register the better!
- Registration, as well as RV & Super Tent, tickets are limited and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration is cheaper if you register early.
- It really helps a lot when you register early, because we need funds to pay for some of our costs upfront.
- Campers need to contact their Theme Camp Leaders to get access to the registration link.
- If you have to cancel, and register during the Early Bird Period, you won’t be charged the $10 Cancellation Fee on your $60 Camper Fee.
- RV and SuperTent surcharges, as well as upgrades from SuperTent to RV, will be available as independent “tickets” on the registration site. Campers can go back later and purchase RV and SuperTent tickets independently from their Camper Fee tickets or upgrade from SuperTent to RV.
- This year we are limiting the tiers to a time period AND a limited number of tickets, whichever comes first.
- If we don’t sell out first, we will impose a hard cutoff date for Camper Fee registrations of August 18 2017! After this date we will no longer sell Camper Fee tickets; so the Registrars can prepare for the Playa.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
You may register just yourself, if you choose to register & pay for others, you will need ALL of the following information FOR EACH PERSON that you plan to register.
Your payment will show up on your credit card statement as SiliconVil
- First and Last “Real” Name
(This must be a REAL name, not just a placeholder – You cannot reserve “early bird” rate for someone that hasn’t committed to camping with SV.)
- CAMPER’s Email Address
(THEIRS, not yours. We need the ability to contact each camper if need be.)
- CAMPER’s Mailing Address
- CAMPER’s Phone Number
- Playa Name
- Event Password
(Make sure your Theme Camp Leader knows EXACTLY who you are registering – we have size limits on each Theme Camp!). If you would like to join a Theme Camp, please contact our Mayor at [ Mayor (at) SiliconVillageBurners (dot) org ] DO NOT share the Password with anyone else.
Thank you for honoring this request.
Registering & Paying for multiple people:
You will need ALL of the above required info for EACH person. (Please use THEIR contact info etc.)
- First register yourself.
- Then, before you proceed to payment, on the left side there will be a button that says “Add Another Person”. Use that to add each person you wish to add.
- At the end, you can pay in one financial transaction.
FEE STRUCTURE 2017
Everyone in the village is a “Camper”, and will pay the “Camper Fee”. This covers basic power use such as lights, phone/camera chargers and the like.
If you use high power-consumption items (Called a SuperTent), or if you are in an RV, you pay an add-on fee. See the Power Page for more information on the cords for these designations.
ONLY ONE PERSON per “SuperTent” or “RV” will pay this fee. It is per habitat. The “owner” that registers that habitat will need to make their own arrangements regarding sharing those costs among the other Campers sharing the dwelling with them.
As has been done since 2015, we have a third tier for late registrations, this year we’ve added a limited number of tickets at each tier. On August 1st, or once 160 tickets have been sold, Camper Fee registration will be $100. Late registrations have, over the past years, made it hard to track registrations, manage the budget, and pay bills (yes, we need to pay a lot of bills before The Burn!).
For the same reason, we will impose a hard cutoff date for Camper Fee registrations of August 18th! After this date we will no longer accept camper registrations to be able to prepare for the Playa.
Camper Fees 2017 All times PST:
- EARLY BIRD: $60 (First 100 tickets, March 1st – May 31st at 11:00pm)
- STANDARD: $75 (Next 60 tickets, June 1st – July 31st at 11:00pm)
- LAST MINUTE: $100 (After first 160 tickets or August 1st – August 18th at 11:00pm)
RV and SuperTents
Registrations and upgrades are sold as separate ‘tickets’. This allows Campers to purchase those independently from their Camper Fee registration; or, change their minds later. These tickets are limited and sold first-come, first-served until we reach our generator limit. If you are in an RV like vehicle, you know it. If you are bringing a tent or a yurt, AND you are bringing a microwave or AC, hair dryer, swamp cooler, heater, electric coffee maker, or similar high-load device, you are a SuperTenter. If you have three such items, you probably should treat yourself as an RV. Otherwise, you are just a Camper. Yes, you can still use electricity in a tent or yurt for lights, battery chargers, fans, etc. No extra charge unless you have a high-load appliance. NOTE: If you have a relatively new “energy star” mini-fridge, that is low power enough for “regular Camper” status. You do not need a SuperTent if that is your only large appliance.
- SuperTent surcharge: $80
- RV surcharge: $160
CANCELLATION POLICY 2017
- We are waiving the $10 cancellation fee for all campers registering before May 31.
- We cannot process refunds between 08/10 and 09/15. Refunds requested during that period will be sent out after we return, and should arrive by end of September.
Refund Policy: Camper Fee registration and RV/SuperTent surcharges are refundable until 10/31/2017. (If you don’t attend, of course!) There is a $10 cancellation fee for Camper Fees, unless you register during the Early Bird period, then the fee DOES NOT apply. There is a $20 cancellation fee if you also have a SuperTent or RV surcharge. Cancellation fees are to cover the registration site fees that Silicon Village absorbs as a part of your Camp Fees. We pay this on every single transaction when you register, but include that in the overall fee. We ONLY pass these fees on to you if you cancel.
All refunds will be done via check, mailed by the bookkeeper. Refunds will be processed at least once a week (except under extremely extraordinary circumstances – we are all volunteers here). Requests to cancel/for refund made after August 10th will not be processed until after the event.
Requests to cancel and for refund should be emailed to Fred “Princess”, Keeper of the Gates at: [ siliconvillagebrc (at) gmail (dot) com ].
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2017
- Q. Why are fees higher starting June 1st (or after 100 tickets have been sold, whichever comes first) and August 1st (or after 160 tickets have been sold, whichever comes first)?
- A. You have to ask? Mostly, it helps with planning. In 2014, we had two deadlines: Early and Late. Our registrars were trying to go to the Burn and process last minute registrations and changes. In 2015, we went back to 3: Early Bird, Standard, and Last Minute. If you miss the Early Bird rate, you pay a bit more. We added a high rate in August to encourage y’all to PAY UP, that’s why the fees are a bit higher at that point.
- Q. There isn’t that much of a difference between the Early Bird and the Standard fees; why do I want to pay early?
- A. Our physical space and power distribution limits the number of people who can be part of Silicon Village to about 200 people. We must cut off the registration at about 200. Demand is much higher, especially once our really great placement is known. Empty slots fill up quickly after June 15. When we are full, we are full. If you are not paid-up when we hit our limit, you will have to find another place to call home on the Playa.
- Q. What do my fees pay for?
- A. Mostly electricity, and the infrastructure to get electricity to you. But, also, transportation for stuff, storage for camp stuff, art grants and a other things. A detailed budget will be available on the web site.
- Q. I don’t use electricity, why do I need to pay a fee?
- A. Placement baby! And everything else. Our infrastructure is fairly costly, even excluding power. However, we have returned to the old fee structure that charges much more for heavy electricity users. But, you should take advantage of the electricity; producing any costs a lot, sharing among many makes it cheaper.
- Q. What about refunds? If I pay now, and decide not to go, what happens?
- A. Camper registration Fees and RV/SuperTent surcharges are refundable until 10/31/2017. However, in order to recover fees we have to pay upfront for refunded tickets, we will charge $10 for individual camper registration and $20 for RV and SuperTent cancellations, and refund the remaining balance. We are waiving the $10 cancellation fee for all campers registering before May 31. Please note that we cannot process refunds between 08/10 and 09/15. Refunds requested during that period will be sent out after we return, and should arrive by end of September.
- Q. Who is a camper? Who pays the SuperTent surcharge? Who pays the RV surcharge?
- A. First, EVERYONE is a Camper. The basic Camper Fee applies to everyone. Plus, each RV or SuperTent will add an additional amount to one person’s fee. It will make more sense after you read the next few answers. In any case, if you are in an RV like vehicle, you know it. If you are bringing a tent or a yurt, AND you are bringing a microwave or AC, hair dryer, swamp cooler, heater, electric coffee maker, or similar high-load device, you are a SuperTenter. If you have three such items, you probably should treat yourself as an RV. Otherwise, you are just a Camper. Yes, you can still use electricity in a tent or yurt for lights, battery chargers, fans, etc. No extra charge unless you have a high-load appliance. NOTE: If you have a relatively new “energy star” mini-fridge, that is low power enough for “regular Camper” status. You do not need a SuperTent if that is your only large appliance.
- Q. Is a yurt more?
- A. Only if it you use a high-load device like AC?
- Q. What if my friends pay late?
- A. You pay the basic Camper Fee based on the date you pay, your friends pay based on when they pay. The SuperTent and RV surcharge stays the same.
- Q. Can I upgrade to Super Tent or RV later?
- A. Yes. But please upgrade as soon as you know, so we can plan our power budget and distribution needs. Please contact Fred “Princess”, Keeper of the Gates at: [ siliconvillagebrc (at) gmail (dot) com ] for special request access codes.
- Q. I’m coming in an RV, but I don’t use the AC, Microwave, Coffee Maker, etc.
- A. Then why come in your RV? Really, you should take advantage of your own hedonism. Plus, RVs take up a lot of space. Sorry, if you bring an RV, you must pay the RV surcharge.
- Q. What if I just use my own generator?
- A. Sorry. Part of our Silicon Village agreement is that no one uses small generators on site. They are too noisy for one thing, and very inefficient, and pollute unnecessarily.
- Q. I signed up as just a regular Camper, but I decided to get an AC unit for my yurt. (or I decided to rent an RV.) What do I do now?
- A. Go back to the registration site and purchase the appropriate “ticket” either for a SuperTent or RV.
- Q. I want to upgrade from Supertent to RV, or register an RV only, or some other special request that isn’t on the registration site. What do I do now?
- A. Go back to the registration site and purchase the appropriate “ticket” to upgrade from a SuperTent to an RV, or purchase a RV ticket.