The Silicon Village Registration site for Burning Man 2018 is up and running!
Please prove you are not a robot by reading all of the words on this page and following the directions. Read the ENTIRE FAQ and talk to your Theme Camp Leader before sending questions to Dayle, Keeper of the Gates…or else!
How to become a member of Silicon Village
All persons camping within Silicon Village must pay Camper Registration Fees. This makes you a Member of our Village. Hooray for you!
You can purchase your Village tickets on the Registration Site, which is available exclusively via your Theme Camp Leader. Your Theme Camp Leader is an epic hero (probably), is super capable of handling your issues (maybe), and can give you access to the password-protected Registration Site.
Help us help you by registering yo’self as early as possible!
- We all know Burning Man is a Communal Effort, and it helps build an easier flow when you register early. (We need funds to pay for some of our costs upfront.)
- Camper Registration, RV & SuperUser tickets are limited and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration is cheaper if you register early.
New(ish) info for 2018
- Campers need to contact their Theme Camp Leaders to get access to the registration link. This link should not be shared with anyone.
- If you have to cancel, and register during the Early Bird Period, you won’t be charged the $10 Cancellation Fee on your $54 Camper Fee.
- RV and SuperUser surcharges, as well as upgrades from SuperUser to RV, will be available as independent “tickets” on the registration site. Campers can go back later and purchase RV and SuperUser tickets or upgrade from SuperUser to RV.
- This year we are limiting the tiers to a time period AND a limited number of tickets, whichever comes first.
- If we don’t sell out by number first, we will impose a hard cutoff date for Camper Fee registrations of August 18 2018! After this date we will no longer sell Camper Fee tickets; so the Registrars can prepare for the Playa.
|Tier||Dates Available||$||About this tier|
|Discounted Early Bird
|March 15th – May 31st
(or until 100 are sold)
|$54||No cancellation fee
100 available (unsold roll over to next tier)
|Regular Ol’ Camper Ticket||June 1st – July 31st
(or until next 60 are sold)
|$79||$10 cancellation fee
60 available (unsold roll over to next tier)
|Later Gator||Aug 1st – Aug 18th (or after 160 are sold)
hard cutoff = August 18
|$104||Mystery fee of $25! $10 cancellation fee
|Upgrade: RV (Purchase in addition to your camper ticket)||Now – Aug 18th
hard cutoff = August 18
|$160||$20 cancellation fee|
|Upgrade: Superuser (Purchase in addition to your camper ticket)||Now – Aug 18
hard cutoff = August 18
|$80||$20 cancellation fee|
Please do your best to work with your Theme Camp Leader to cover the spot you reserve. Camper registration and RV/SuperUser surcharges are technically refundable until 08/18/2018. Because we have to pay upfront for refunded tickets, we will charge $10 for individual camper registration and $20 for RV and SuperUser cancellations, and refund the remaining balance. (But we want to see you on Playa, so please try not to use this policy!) The $10 cancellation fee will not apply to Early Bird Camper Fees as an additional incentive to register early.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
You may register just yourself or your friends/camp mates/frenemies/others (significant or otherwise). If you choose to register & pay for other humans, you will need ALL of the following information FOR EACH PERSON that you plan to register. You do not have permission to register anyone without their consent and their expressed commitment to camping with Silicon Village.
Your payment will show up on your credit card statement as SiliconVil
- First and Last “Real” Name
(This must be a REAL name, not just a placeholder – You cannot reserve “Early Bird” rate for someone that hasn’t committed to camping with SV.)
- CAMPER’s Email Address
(THEIRS, not yours. We need the ability to contact each camper if need be.)
- CAMPER’s Mailing Address
- CAMPER’s Phone Number
- Playa Name
- Event Password
(Make sure your Theme Camp Leader knows EXACTLY who you are registering – we have size limits on each Theme Camp!). If you would like to join a Theme Camp, please contact our Mayor at [ Mayor (at) SiliconVillageBurners (dot) org ] DO NOT share the Password with anyone else.
Thank you for honoring this request.
Registering & Paying for multiple people:
You will need ALL of the above required info for EACH person. (Please use THEIR contact info etc.)
- First register yourself.
- Then, before you proceed to payment, on the left side there will be a button that says “Add Another Person”. Use that to add each person you wish to add.
- At the end, you can pay in one financial transaction.
FEE STRUCTURE 2018
Everyone in the village is a “Camper”, and will pay the “Camper Fee”. Basic power needs (lights, phone/camera chargers, etc.) and your camping area (as a proportionate share of our communal space) “footprint” are included in the fee.
If you use high power-consumption appliances, you must pay an additional per-dwelling (not per-person) fee. See the Power Page for more information on the cords for these designations.
The owner or driver that registers the dwelling makes her/his arrangements for cost-sharing with those sharing the dwelling.
On August 1st, or once 170 tickets have been sold, Camper Fee registration will be $104. Late registrations have, over the past years, made it hard to track registrations, manage the budget, and pay bills. (Yes, we need to pay a lot of bills before The Burn!).
We impose a hard cutoff date for Camper Fee registrations of August 18th! After this date we will no longer accept camper registrations, so our Registrar is able to prepare for the Playa.
Camper Fees 2018 All times PST:
- EARLY BIRD: $54 (First 100 tickets, Sale Open (March) – May 31st at 11:00pm)
- STANDARD: $79 (Next 60 tickets, June 1st – July 31st at 11:00pm)
- LAST MINUTE: $104 (After first 160 tickets or August 1st – August 18th at 11:00pm)
RV and SuperUsers
Camper Registration applies to all Villagers. SuperUsers and RVs are considered ‘footprint’ and/or power upgrades and sold as separate ‘tickets’. Campers purchase upgrades in addition to the Camper Fee. Upgrade tickets are limited and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are in an RV like vehicle, you know it. If you are bringing a tent or a yurt, AND you are bringing a microwave or AC, hair dryer, swamp cooler, heater, electric coffee maker, or similar high-load device, you are a SuperUser. If you have three such items, you should upgrade to an RV. Otherwise, you are a Camper. Yes, you can still use electricity in a tent or yurt for lights, battery chargers, fans, etc. No extra charge unless you have a high-load appliance. NOTE: If you have a relatively new “Energy Star” mini-fridge, you need not upgrade to SuperUser (assuming it is your only continuous-use appliance.
- SuperUser surcharge: $80
- RV surcharge: $160
CANCELLATION POLICY 2018
- We are waiving the $10 cancellation fee for all campers registering before May 31.
- We cannot process refunds between 08/10 and 09/15. Refunds requested during that period will be sent out after we return, and should arrive by end of September.
Refund Policy: Legally-schmegally we need to have a no-show refund policy for any unfortunate human unable to attend The Burn, so unused Camper Fee Registration and RV/SuperTent surcharges are, like, technically refundable until 10/31/2018. However, we encourage said humans to find a well-suited replacement human to occupy their spot. Dayle, Keeper of the Gates, will require a hand-typed excuse of at least 250 pathetic words explaining absences before she even considers issuing a refund. (If you don’t attend, of course!) There is a $10 cancellation fee for Camper Fees, unless you register during the Early Bird period, then the fee DOES NOT apply. There is a $20 cancellation fee if you also have a SuperUser or RV surcharge. Cancellation fees are to cover the registration site fees that Silicon Village absorbs as a part of your Camp Fees. We pay this on every single transaction when you register, but include that in the overall fee. We ONLY pass these fees on to you if you cancel.
All refunds will be done via check, mailed by the bookkeeper. Refunds will be processed at least once a week (except under extremely extraordinary circumstances – we are all volunteers here). Requests to cancel/for refund made after August 10th will not be processed until after The Burn.
Requests to cancel and for refund should be emailed to Dayle, Keeper of the Gates at: [ Unity (dot) Moonbeam (at) gmail (dot) com ].
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2018
- Q. Why are fees higher starting June 1st (or after 100 tickets have been sold, whichever comes first) and August 1st (or after 160 tickets have been sold, whichever comes first)?
- A. You have to ask? Mostly, it helps with planning. Our registrars are volunteers and they’re trying to get ready to go to the Burn too!
- Q. There isn’t that much of a difference between the Early Bird and the Standard fees; why do I want to pay early?
- A. Our physical space and power distribution limits the number of people who can be part of Silicon Village to about 200 people. We must cut off the registration at about 200. Demand is much higher, especially once our really great placement is known. Empty slots fill up quickly after June 15. When we are full, we are full. If you are not paid-up when we hit our limit, you will have to find another place to call home on the Playa.
- Q. What do my fees pay for?
- A. Infrastructure, transportation of SV gear, storage for SV gear through the year, art grants and much more. A detailed budget is available on our website.Also, special surprises maybe?
- Q. I don’t use electricity, why do I need to pay a fee?
- A. Placement baby! And everything else including sharing our space on Playa. Silicon Village is a Non-Profit Organization. Our infrastructure, placement on the BM map, and budgetary requirements are not cheap. Camper fees cover the basics, but electricity is subsidized by the fees charged to SuperUser and RV Villagers. In essence, Campers get electricity for free.
- Q. What about refunds? If I pay now, and decide not to go, what happens?
- A. We’ll be so sad and miss you every day! Camper registration Fees and RV/SuperTent surcharges are refundable until 10/31/2018. However, in order to recover fees we have to pay upfront for refunded tickets, we will charge $10 for individual camper registration and $20 for RV and SuperUser cancellations, and refund the remaining balance. We are waiving the $10 cancellation fee for all campers registering before May 31. Please note that we cannot process refunds between 08/10 and 09/15. Refunds requested during that period will be sent out after we return, and should arrive by end of September.
- Q. Who is a camper? Who pays the SuperUser surcharge? Who pays the RV surcharge?
- A. First, EVERYONE is a Camper. Each Villager is assumed to be a Camper; thus, the basic Camper Fee applies to everyone. RVs or SuperUsers pay an additional amount, applied, usually, to the fee of owner of the SuperUser dwelling or the driver of the RV. If you are in an RV-like vehicle, you know it. If you are bringing a tent or a yurt, AND you are bringing a microwave or AC, hair dryer, swamp cooler, heater, electric coffee maker, or similar high-load device, you are a SuperUser. If you have three such items, you probably should treat yourself as an RV. Otherwise, you are a Camper. Yes, you can still use electricity in a tent or yurt for lights, battery chargers, fans, etc. No extra charge unless you have a high-load appliance. NOTE: If you have a relatively new “Energy Star”-rated mini-fridge, you need not pay the SuperUser fee (assuming that is your only continuous-use appliance.
- Q. Is a yurt more?
- A. Only if you run a high-power draw, continuous-use (8-hours a day or more) device like an Air Conditioner.
- Q. What if my friends pay late?
- A. They pay the late fee. The SuperUser and RV surcharge stays the same. You should probably de-friend those late-paying degenerates for inconveniencing you so hard.
- Q. Can I upgrade to SuperUser or RV later?
- A. Yes. But please upgrade as soon as you know, so we can plan our power budget and distribution needs. Please contact Dayle, Keeper of the Gates at: [ Unity (dot) Moonbeam (at) gmail (dot) com ] for special permission. RVs and SuperUser tickets are limited and available on a first come, first served basis.
- Q. I’m coming in an RV, but I don’t use the AC, Microwave, Coffee Maker, etc.
- A. If you have an RV ‘footprint’, take advantage of it. RVs take up a lot of space, so if you bring an RV, by definition of its footprint, you must pay the RV surcharge.
- Q. What if I just use my own generator?
- A. Sorry, yo, can’t do it! Silicon Village’s agreement with the Burning Man Organization excludes small generator use on Playa. They can be noisy, fuel-inefficient and may emit local, and rather concentrated air pollution. Rules are rules, I guess.
- Q. I signed up as just a regular Camper, but I decided to get an AC unit for my yurt. (or I decided to rent an RV.) What do I do now?
- A. PANIC! ALL IS LOST! JK…Just go back to the registration site and purchase the appropriate “ticket” either for a SuperUser or RV.
- Q. I want to upgrade from SuperUser to RV, or register an RV only, or some other special request that isn’t on the registration site. What do I do now?
- A. Go back to the registration site and purchase the appropriate “ticket” to upgrade from a SuperUser to an RV, or purchase a RV ticket.
- Q. I have no questions. Is this bad?
- A. There is no good or bad, my friend, but the thinking that makes it so.
- Q. Can I please stop reading the fee stuff now?
- A. For sure. And give yourself a big hug for being so f’n awesome.