Registration and fees for camping with Silicon Village
All persons camping within Silicon Village must pay Camper Registration Fees. This makes you a Member of our Village.
You can purchase your Village tickets on the Registration Site on Eventbrite: the link to the site is available on through your Theme Camp Leader, who will give you the access code in an email.
Help us help you by registering as early as possible!
- We all know Burning Man is a Communal Effort, and it helps build an easier flow when you register early. (We need funds to pay for some of our costs upfront.)
- Camper Registration, RV & SuperUser tickets are limited and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration is cheaper if you register early.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
You may register just yourself or your friends/camp mates/frenemies/others (significant or otherwise). If you choose to register & pay for other humans, you will need ALL of the following information FOR EACH PERSON that you plan to register. You do not have permission to register anyone without their consent and their expressed commitment to camping with Silicon Village.
- First and Last “Real” Name
(This must be a REAL name, not just a placeholder – You cannot reserve “Early Bird” rate for someone that hasn’t committed to camping with SV.)
- CAMPER’s Email Address
(THEIRS, not yours. We need the ability to contact each camper if need be.)
- CAMPER’s Mailing Address
- CAMPER’s Phone Number
- Playa Name (optional)
Registering & Paying for multiple people:
You will need ALL of the above required info for EACH person. (Please use THEIR contact info etc.)
- Order the number of tickets you want from the drop-down menus (there are limits on some types of tickets).
- In the checkout area, register each Camper ticket with a unique name and email address.
- Use either of the Camper names to register your RV/SuperUser Add-ons.
- Answer the checkout questions.
FEE STRUCTURE 2019
Camper Fees 2019:
- Really Early Camper: $70 (first 100 tickets, sale open March 1 to April 1)
- Early Camper: $85 (next 50 tickets, April 1 to May 1)
- Regular Camper: $100 (next 100 tickets, May 1 to August 1)
- Late Camper: $125 (after first 250 tickets or August 1st to August 18th. There may be very few of these if the Village is declared full.)
Everyone in the village is a “Camper”, and will pay the “Camper Fee”. Basic power needs (lights, phone/camera chargers, etc.) and your camping area (as a proportionate share of our communal space) “footprint” are included in the fee.
If you use high power-consumption appliances, you must pay an additional per-dwelling (not per-person) fee. See the Power Page for more information on the cords for these designations.
The owner or driver that registers the dwelling makes her/his arrangements for cost-sharing with those sharing the dwelling.
On August 1st, or once 225-250 tickets have been sold, Camper Fee registration will be $125. Late registrations have, over the past years, made it hard to track registrations, manage the budget, and pay bills. (Yes, we need to pay a lot of bills before The Burn!).
We impose a hard cutoff date for Camper Fee registrations of August 18th! After this date we will no longer accept camper registrations, so our Registrar is able to prepare for the Playa.
RV and SuperUsers
- SuperUser Add-on $90, $100 after August 1
- RV Add-on: $175, $200 after August 1
Camper Registration applies to all Villagers. SuperUsers and RVs are considered ‘footprint’ and/or power upgrades and sold as separate Add-on tickets. Campers purchase upgrades in addition to the Camper Fee. Upgrade tickets are limited and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are in an RV like vehicle, you know it. If you are bringing a tent or a yurt, AND you are bringing a microwave or AC, hair dryer, swamp cooler, heater, electric coffee maker, or similar high-load device, you are a SuperUser. If you have three such items, you should upgrade to an RV. Otherwise, you are a Camper. Yes, you can still use electricity in a tent or yurt for lights, battery chargers, fans, etc. No extra charge unless you have a high-load appliance. NOTE: If you have a relatively new “Energy Star” mini-fridge, you need not upgrade to SuperUser (assuming it is your only continuous-use appliance.
Please do your best to work with your Theme Camp Leader to cover the spot you reserve. Camper registration and RV/SuperUser surcharges are technically refundable until 10/1/2019. Because we have to pay upfront for refunded tickets, we will charge $10 for individual camper registration and $20 for RV and SuperUser cancellations, and refund the remaining balance. (But we want to see you on Playa, so please try not to use this policy!) The $10 cancellation fee will not apply to Early Bird Camper Fees as an additional incentive to register early.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2019
- Q. Why are there different price tiers for tickets?
- A. Mostly, it helps with planning. Our placement and generator needs are determined by the number of people who commit to the Village, and the earlier the better. Less expensive early tickets are our incentive to you to stand up and be counted as early as possible.
- Q. There isn’t that much of a difference between the Early and the Regular fees; why do I want to register early?
- A. Our physical space and power distribution limits the number of people who can be part of Silicon Village to about 225-250 people this year. Demand is much higher, especially once our really great placement is known. Empty slots fill up quickly after June 15. When we are full, we are full. If you are not paid-up when we hit our limit, you will have to find another place to call home on the Playa.
- Q. What do my fees pay for?
- A. Infrastructure, transportation of SV gear, storage for SV gear through the year, art grants and much more. A detailed budget is available on our website.
- Q. I don’t use electricity, why do I need to pay a fee?
- A. Placement baby! And everything else including sharing our space on Playa. Silicon Village is a Non-Profit Organization. Our infrastructure, placement on the BM map, and budgetary requirements are not cheap. Camper fees cover the basics, but electricity is subsidized by the fees charged to SuperUser and RV Villagers. In essence, Campers get electricity for free.
- Q. What about refunds? If I pay now, and decide not to go, what happens?
- A. We’ll be so sad and miss you every day! Camper registration Fees and RV/SuperUser surcharges are refundable until 10/1/2019. However, in order to recover fees we have to pay upfront for refunded tickets, we will charge $10 for individual camper registration and $20 for RV and SuperUser cancellations, and refund the remaining balance. We are waiving the $10 cancellation fee for all campers registering before May 1. Please note that we cannot process refunds between 08/26 and 09/06. Refunds requested during that period will be sent out after we return, and should arrive by end of September.
- Q. Who is a camper? Who pays the SuperUser surcharge? Who pays the RV surcharge?
- A. First, EVERYONE is a Camper. Each Villager is assumed to be a Camper; thus, the basic Camper Fee applies to everyone. RVs or SuperUsers pay an additional amount, by buying an Add-on in addition to their Camper ticket. If you are in an RV-like vehicle, you know it. If you are bringing a tent or a yurt, AND you are bringing a microwave or AC, hair dryer, swamp cooler, heater, electric coffee maker, or similar high-load device, you are a SuperUser. If you have three such items, you probably should treat yourself as an RV. Otherwise, you are a Camper. Yes, you can still use electricity in a tent or yurt for lights, battery chargers, fans, etc. No extra charge unless you have a high-load appliance. NOTE: If you have a relatively new “Energy Star”-rated mini-fridge, you need not pay the SuperUser fee (assuming that is your only continuous-use appliance.
- Q. Is a yurt more?
- A. Only if you run a high-power draw, continuous-use (8-hours a day or more) device like an Air Conditioner.
- Q. Can I upgrade to SuperUser or RV later?
- A. Yes. But please upgrade as soon as you know, so we can plan our power budget and distribution needs. RVs and SuperUser tickets are limited and available on a first come, first served basis.
- Q. I’m coming in an RV, but I don’t use the AC, Microwave, Coffee Maker, etc.
- A. If you have an RV ‘footprint’, take advantage of it. RVs take up a lot of space, so if you bring an RV, by definition of its footprint, you must pay the RV surcharge.
- Q. What if I just use my own generator?
- A. Sorry, yo, can’t do it! Silicon Village’s agreement with the Burning Man Organization excludes small generator use on Playa. They can be noisy, fuel-inefficient and may emit local, and rather concentrated air pollution. Rules are rules, I guess.
- Q. I signed up as just a regular Camper, but I decided to get an AC unit for my yurt. (or I decided to rent an RV.) What do I do now?
- A. Just go back to the registration site and purchase the appropriate Add-on either for a SuperUser or RV.
- Q. I want to upgrade from SuperUser to RV, or register an RV only, or some other special request that isn’t on the registration site. What do I do now?
- A. Go back to the registration site and purchase an RV ticket, and then have your SuperUser ticket refunded so that another camper can purchase it.
- Q. I have no questions. Is this bad?
- A. There is no good or bad, my friend, but the thinking that makes it so.
- Q. Can I please stop reading the fee stuff now?
- A. For sure. And give yourself a big hug for being so f’n awesome.